Total Sleep Hours: 12-14
Night time Hours: 11-12
Daytime Hours: 1-3 (typically 2 naps per day until around 15 months, then 1 nap per day)
- The biggest change in this age range is that the morning nap will phase out around 15 months of age.
- You’ll know your child is ready to drop the morning nap when he begins playing through one or both naps and/or falls asleep near the end of the nap. This pushes bedtime later than it should be and results in an overtired little fellow!
- Start the transition by ditching the morning nap and putting him down for a single nap starting between 11-12:30. The closer you can get him to 12/12:30 the better, as long as he doesn’t get overtired. Start slow and realize that this will be a gradual process. Eventually that afternoon nap will move to 1pm and stay there until he drops the nap altogether around 3 years of age.
- It’s ok if she has 2 naps some days and 1 nap on other days. This is a transitional period so expect it to take a few weeks of flip-flopping until she’s regularly taking one nap.
- If your child begins climbing out of the crib before or around her second birthday, think twice before moving her to a big girl bed right away. There are many ways to deal with an escape artist without making it easier for her to get out of bed! Children this age are too young to truly understand sleep rules and the new found freedom of a bed only makes bedtime problems worse!
Looking for a certified child sleep consultant in Atlanta, Georgia or any other state? Happy Healthy Sleep can help your family get the sleep you all deserve.